Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Happy National Running Day



Today is a good day to ask ourselves why we run. Is it to lose weight, gain confidence, win races, or simply to enjoy the outside at a pace only we can appreciate?

I began running to get into shape and today I run because, quite frankly, I love it. I love the rush, the sweat, the feeling of accomplishment. I love the path or the treadmill as long as my feet are moving. I love the solitude, the quiet, the conversations I have with myself. I love the small wave or a simple nod to other runners as I meet them on the road. The brotherhood of runners, never more evident than after the recent Boston Marathon. How many new runners did that one single day inspire? In a year, on the next National Running Day, will their reasons to run have changed. Perhaps the reasons will just expand, like mine have. All I know is the days I don't run leave me feeling empty and the void in my day is a dark shadow. I love to lace up and get my run on. I hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment