Friday, November 15, 2013

Which article should go viral?

I've watched with interest the reaction the running world has had to this article published in the opinion section of the Wall Street Journal.  I think every running blog, every Facebook page devoted to running, and every running magazine has responded to the guys opinion. People are calling him hateful and angry, they are assuming he is lonely and without friends. Some posts are downright humorous but for the most part, they are people who have gotten their panties in a twist over one person's opinion of runners and running. I think it was written tongue in cheek and while it poked fun  at runners (and yes, I am a runner), I didn't get offended nor did I find the article hateful. I even chuckled at some of his words.

I like to see the stickers on cars, I proudly wear my event shirts, I give thumbs up to other runners, I refuse to wear non-matching running gear, and I love hearing about the hard earned accomplishments of others. Yes, you hear me gush over "my daughter flying to Paris ALONE to run the Marathon de France". I encourage, support and cheer lead for newbies and oldies, and yes, I cried over the bombing at the Boston Marathon. I am proud to be a citizen of the world of running and understand that not every alien understands my world. I am proud to train, I love the sweat, the tears, the triumphs. I post my runs on Facebook and I share my accomplishments and failures with friends and family. It holds me accountable to the one person I run for, me.

So my friends, if you are upset over this guys 'Opinion', then do not provide him airtime. If you can not see the humor or you can not see yourself in his words, don't make his article go viral. Instead, please write, scream, post, share, and publish THIS article. This one shares my vision of what runners are and what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment