Monday, June 16, 2014

Warning Will Robinson

 
 
Summer has arrived in Texas, full force. The temps this week have teetered in the 90's and the humidity is right up there. It's been face melting humidity. Now, I am not complaining. I hate the cold, I love the heat. However, I love to run and I am a mid day runner. I've worked nightshift for years so waking up at the crack of dawn on my days off, well, it aint happening. I've tried, repeatedly. I have gotten good at waking up before the alarm clock, at least long enough to turn the alarm clock off! Mid day running means treadmill. While I am not opposed to running on the machine, I miss the outdoor runs I enjoy in the cooler months. And so I continue to set my alarm clock and hope.
 
I managed to drag my butt out of bed this morning when hubby brought me a cup of coffee and gently reminded me that I instructed him to wake me up before he left. I drank my coffee. checked the weather, and decided at 0830 I could manage the 82degrees. I headed out for a 30 minute run. It was hot. Very hot, but I kept going. Instead of doing a turn about at the mile mark, I decided to run the overpass knowing this was going to add another mile to my run. All is good. The bridge felt good, I made the U turn and headed home. Three quarters of a mile from home I noticed the skin on my arms were dry, my face was dry, the back of my neck was dry, the skin on my stomach was dry. I changed to a walk. Heat stroke? Heat Exhaustion? I can't ever remember which one is worse but I'm an ER nurse, I know this is probably not a good thing. I, the nurse noticed I, the stupid runner, wasn't confused, or was I too confused to know I was confused. Today is, oh hell, I work nights, I never know what day it is. The President is Richard Nixon, just kidding runner self said, I was testing your humor. I'm not amused, caring nurse said. I noted that I didn't have a headache. Oh my god, whats that pain creeping into my head. Oh shut up, you're talking yourself into it. Okay. Lets not panic. Gait steady. I know there is always a cop sitting at the fire house, it's just the next block, and I'll ask for a ride home. Oh jeeze, no cop today. Only a quarter of a mile to go, I can do this. So the running path is not next to the road, if I collapse, will the oncoming traffic see me and call for help? Should I cross the road? No, it doesn't matter. Step by step, I walked, closer to the house. A breeze picked up and helped cool me. I finally made it, I sucked down a gatorade, washed the gritty dried salt from my face, and played a game of candy crush. I survived, I'm alive, I decided morning runs just aren't my thing and I'll stick to evenings and mid day treadmill.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment